Anti-Aging Effects of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) Shown to Reverse Aging Biomarkers in Humans
A landmark study in Israel has found that hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) can reverse two key biological signs of aging in humans—the first study to ever make this finding.
Published in the peer-reviewed journal Aging, the study shows that it is possible to target and reverse the aging process at the basic cellular-biological level.
This breakthrough in the biology of aging provides scientists with a new foundation for investigating ways to slow the aging process. Learn more about the empirically validated anti-aging effects HBOT can have.
The 2 Key Biological Signs of Aging
Two common signs of biological aging are:
- Shortening of telomeres on our chromosomes: Telomeres are like the hardened ends of shoelaces. They protect the ends of chromosomes from deterioration. As we age, our telomeres naturally shorten, but a yearly decrease of their length by 20–40 bases is associated with serious illnesses.
- Accumulation of senescent cells: Senescent cells are cells that are still alive, but have stopped multiplying. Over time, these cells can accumulate in the body and their increase contributes to age-associated conditions.
In the groundbreaking study, patients aged 64 and older underwent a series of unique HBOT anti-aging programs. Multiple blood tests conducted during the study showed “HBOT may induce significant senolytic effects including significantly increasing telomere length and clearance of senescent cells in the aging populations.”
The “Holy Grail” of the Biology of Aging
A different study released in 2020 showed that HBOT also improves cognitive functions of memory and processing speed, among other areas.
The studies have been conducted over a decade of research and caused Dr. Shai Efrati—the study’s co-author—to develop a unique medical program available at Aviv Clinics.
According to Efrati, director of the Sagol Center for Hyperbaric Medicine and Research at the Shamir Medical Center in Israel:
“After dedicating our HBOT research to exploring its impact on the areas of brain functionality and age-related cognitive decline, we have now uncovered for the first time in humans HBOT’s biological effects at the cellular level in healthy aging adults.”
Efrati called telomere shortening “the ‘Holy Grail’ of the biology of aging” and developed the Aviv Medical Program based upon the results testing, study, and research.
“The significant improvement of telomere length shown during and after these unique HBOT protocols provides the scientific community with a new foundation of understanding that aging can, indeed, be targeted and reversed at the basic cellular-biological level.”
Study Findings on Anti-Aging Effects of HBOT
- “Telomeres length of T helper, T cytotoxic, natural killer and B cells increased significantly by over 20% following HBOT”
- “There was a significant decrease in the number of senescent T helpers by -37.30%±33.04 post-HBOT.”
According to Dr. Amir Hadanny (co-author of the study) the pioneering study has:
“Opened the door for further research on the prolonged cellular impact of HBOT to reverse the aging process. In just three months of HBOT, we were able to achieve such significant telomere elongation—at rates far beyond any of the currently available interventions or lifestyle modifications.”
There is also the potential for HBOT to be used as an anti-aging mechanism for skin care. HBOT may serve as “an important component in skin rejuvenation, treatment of photoaging skin, and improvement in skin complexions.”
Notable Individuals Who Have Pursued HBOT
Due to the impressive data-backed results, many notable individuals have decided to pursue HBOT themselves:
- Michael Phelps: 28-time Olympic medalist used hyperbaric oxygen therapy to help with his recovery from training. The high-altitude conditions and boosted levels of oxygen have aided in helping Phelps bounce back from his workouts and continue to win medals throughout his 24-year career.
- Justin Bieber: Having been diagnosed with Lyme Disease and dealt with drug abuse, the pop star regularly uses hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Bieber, who also mentioned he struggles with anxiety and depression, notes that HBOT helps alleviate his stress levels.
- Alon Day: The demands of professional racing are high, with reaction times measured in fractions of a second. Watch three-time NASCAR Whelen Euro Series champ Alon Day explain how the treatments offered by the Aviv Medical Program ensure he meets the sport’s high demands — both mental and physical.
- Watch video here
The Aviv Medical Program: What We Offer
The unique HBOT protocol from the extensive research outlined earlier is available in the United States only at Aviv Clinics. The Aviv Medical Program may include a combination of:
- In-depth review of health history
- Comprehensive physical exam
- Highly advanced brain imaging scans
- Neurological and neurocognitive tests
- Body composition analysis
- A detailed report of our assessment findings
- Cognitive training
- Physical training
- Dietary coaching
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT)
- A post-program report of your improvements and recommendations for future progress
Each patient undergoes extensive assessments and evaluations before, during, and after their HBOT sessions to monitor and analyze progress.
Here’s What Our Clients Have to Say
Aviv Clinic’s clients are a testament to the benefits our program offers. We’ll let these reviews speak for themselves:
- “I can’t thank the team at Aviv enough for helping me feel better than I have in over twenty years. I have more energy, more focus and live a healthier and more fulfilling life. Your support and encouragement has made a total difference in my life. Thank you for all you do.”
- “My wife and I took the program together and had an amazing experience. Both of us are healthier and happier than before and are continuing on with what the program showed us. An amazing staff led by leading edge doctors who are second to none. I recommend this program to anyone suffering from the ailments of aging and loss of cognition.”
- “My goal for attending the Avivprogram was healthy aging. I also wanted to manage stress better, address chronic back issues, gain weight and improve cognitively…I have experienced several unanticipated and unintentional benefits of the Aviv program: I have reduced my alcohol consumption. Never having been one to turn down a glass (or two) of wine, I just don’t have the desire to drink as much; My skin seems smoother and more supple. I am told I look younger and that is always nice to hear; I have made incredible friendships through the Aviv program and met some celebrity athletes and renowned physicians. I am particularly grateful to an orthopedic surgeon I met who was also participating in the Aviv program that helped me focus my attention on managing my osteoporosis.”