What is Lyme Disease?
Lyme disease is a common bacterial infection that spreads to humans by infected ticks. As many as 300,000 people may get Lyme disease each year in the U.S. alone, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Lyme disease is difficult to treat, with many patients getting little relief from common treatments that involve antibiotics. Untreated, Lyme disease can lead to many symptoms, including fever, rash, facial paralysis, and arthritis.
Recent research has found that hyperbaric oxygen treatment (HBOT) can treat Lyme disease and may prove especially effective for patients who are resistant to other treatments.
HBOT and Lyme Disease
Clinical studies found that HBOT can improve the symptoms of Lyme disease and enhance overall wellbeing and quality of life. HBOT involves breathing 100% pure oxygen in a special room known as a HBOT suite. This, combined with the elevated pressure in the suite increases the amount of oxygen in the blood several fold, which helps damaged tissue regenerate and heal faster.
Treatments at Aviv Clinic increase oxygen concentration in the blood to 10-15 times more than normal. This oxygen then diffuses into the body’s tissue, including its protective biofilm, eradicating the spirochaetes where the Lyme disease causing bacteria live.
Clinical trials have shown that the spirochete that causes Lyme disease cannot live in an oxygen-rich environment. HBOT also treats many of the neurological conditions associated with Lyme disease. Aviv doctors are seeing success with treatment of Lyme patients who have received antibiotics for at least 10 years without significant improvement. The patients report feeling better than they have in years, and in some cases, have stopped taking antibiotics.
Benefits of Aviv Medical Program
Benefits for your body:
- Reduce joint pain (strong anti-inflammatory effect)
- Less fatigue and better sleep
- Boost energy, power and stamina
- Better physical performance: Fitness, Strength, Coordination, Balance
Benefits for your mind:
- Better brain connectivity and function (the general health of your brain and how it controls thoughts and feelings)
- Stronger mental ability, including: memory, attention and focus
- Faster information processing speed (how quickly we complete mental tasks)
- Sharper executive functions (the set of complex mental skills that allow us to think flexibly, make decisions, and exercise self-control)
- Improve mood and sleep qaulity
Benefits for your cells:
- Strengthen your immune system
- Encourage stem cells – the building blocks of tissue rejuvenation – to multiply and migrate
- Lengthen the telomeres – the protective caps at the end of each strand of DNA. Encouraging telomeres to lengthen is associated with extending our biological clock
- Reduce senescent cells – known to contribute to many age-related diseases
- Increase mitochondrial function – the power plant in each of our cells
Treating Chronic Lyme Disease at Aviv Clinic
The Aviv Medical Program for Lyme Disease
At Aviv, we treat Lyme using a specific research based HBOT protocol. The Aviv Medical Protocol is based on over a decade of research at Shamir Medical Center with proven clinical results.
Our program includes:
In-depth medical assessment
A comprehensive three-day medical, physiological, and mental assessment including the most advanced brain imaging tests suited to your needs – such as perfusion MRI, fMRI and SPECT – and a state-of-the-art pain lab assessment.
The tests are conducted by Aviv certified medical staff including physicians, neuropsychologists, physiotherapists, physiologists and nurses.
A unique treatment including HBOT protocol
You’ll have HBOT sessions five days a week for 12 weeks – 60 consecutive two-hour sessions in total.
Alongside your HBOT sessions, our medical team will coach you through a personalized brain training and physical training regime, designed to maximize the effects of the oxygen treatments and treat your Lyme symptoms. You’ll be under the dedicated care of our professional healthcare team at all times.
At the end of your treatment, we repeat the tests from the initial assessment to measure results and make recommendations for your ongoing progress. We’ll give you a comprehensive medical report summarizing all of the changes that occurred throughout your treatment, supervised and signed by your professional healthcare team led by our Chief Medical Doctor.
Research into Lyme Disease
Lyme disease can be treated with antibiotics, but approximately 20% of patients experience ongoing symptoms – a condition known as chronic Lyme disease (CLD). This research paper presents a patient with CLD who was successfully treated with HBOT.
Contact us to learn how we can help